forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [patch] person tag
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 12:08:29 GMT
On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 01:48:02PM +0200, Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >
> >In this case, I didn't respond because I'm not sure if the patch is a
> >good idea, and wanted time to think/hear people's opinions.  A page with
> >a mailto: link to the author implies that the author should be contacted
> >for comments/changes.  That is not the case in ASF projects, where
> >authorship does not equal ownership.  If anything, I'd like to go the
> >other way; make the appearance of *any* accreditation on the web page
> >optional.  What do people think?
> >

> Well, If for whatever reasons a document have:
>
> <authors>
> <person name="Juan José Pablos Castañeda" email="cheche@apache.org"/>
> </authors>
>
> The html output format should have that informatino as well.

Why?  I would have thought page metadata is primarily of interest to the
document author, who has access to the XML.  There is no rule saying we
need display all metadata.  Browsers don't render HTML <meta> tags do
they?

> For ASF sites this patch does not stop you to do this:
>
> <authors>
> <person name="Juan José Pablos Castañeda" email="forrest-dev@apache.org"/>
> </authors>

That's abusing the tag to achieve an effect.  Your email address is not
forrest-dev@xml.apache.org ;P  It would be better to introduce a new tag:

<owner name="Forrest-dev" email="forrest-dev@xml.apache.org"/>

--Jeff