forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: Forrest: dynamic or static?
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:01:26 GMT
Quoting Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org>:

> On Saturday, Sep 20, 2003, at 15:44 Europe/Rome, Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> > The line I propose is that Forrest should be regarded as an offline
> > site
> > generation tool that happens to have an online mode for rapid page
> > development.  There should be no features _unusable_ from a static
> > site.
> > For especially useful features, like searching, we can bend the rule
> > and
> > have online/offline equivalents (lucene and google).
>
> +1
>
> May I suggest something wild? ... Forrest that generates mod_rewrite
> instructions? ...

Not everyone uses apache.  For example, we have a corporate intranet site that
uses Weblogic to host the site because that's what we use everywhere else.  But
we deploy a webapp of statically generated forrest files, not a "live" webapp.
And since this is an intranet site, google searches aren't possible and so we
are very interested in using lucene.

Obviously forrest can't be designed to support any and all possible
environments, but nobody should forget the world outside of apache & tomcat.

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net