forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: reflection.error...
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:46:57 GMT
Stephan Schlierf wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Stephan Schlierf wrote:
> > >
> > > Thank you very much; now it works!
> > > Ah, it's a new feature, isn't it?
> >
> > Please see the thread:
> > Re: apparent resolver troubles
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=106333906523927
> >
> In this thread you wrote:
>
> >"When i built that resolver.jar and committed it to cvs ages ago,
> >i built it with JDK-1.4 ... so could that be the problem, should
> >it be built with JDK-1.3 ?"
>
> Don't know, I use the JDK-1.4.2.
>
> >Another possibility is that there is an old copy of resolver.jar
> >on the systems of the people who are having trouble. The old
> >resolver certainly did need to go on the net to get the catalog DTD.
> >This is what i have on my system ...
> >build.sh clean
> >find . -name 'resolver*.jar' -exec ls -l {} \;
> >...75064 Jul 20 18:31 ./lib/core/resolver-20030708.jar
> >...75064 Jul  8 17:50 ./tools/ant/lib/resolver.jar
> >That second one is copied there by the build from the lib/core/
> >Does the .jar on your system have the same file size as me (75064).
>
> Okay, if I do this on my system I get:
> ... 75064 2003-07-20 01:31 ./lib/core/resolver-20030708.jar
> ... 69655 2002-12-01 04:20 ./tools/ant/lib/resolver.jar
>
> So what I did now was to copy the resolver-20030708.jar to
> tool/ant/lin/resolver.jar, commented out the proxy line in forrest.build.xml,
> did a rebuild and - everything works!

Ah great, thanks for that confirmation. We certainly need to
fix that before release. It sounds like there is a second (and older)
copy of the resolver.jar in cvs, rather than being copied there by the
build. We need to find a way for Ant to use the main resolver-*.jar

> I don't know if this can help you but I've noticed this reflection error since
> this week, not earlier (I use the cvs-version with daily updates).
> BTW, I get this reflection error with the 0.5rc1, too, so maybe this should be
> fixed before shipping.

Mmmm, i too wonder why this recent change. It seems that everyone
is network-connected when they do their forrest builds, so the resolver
trundles off and retrieves the catalog DTD. Except me who often builds
offline (it worked for me because i must have copied the new resolver
to tools/ant/lib). Ah yes, recently i added the pref=public attribute
to catalog.xcat (which is the change that cheche reverted yesterday).
This forced the resolver to use public identifiers and try to find
the DTD locally (which it could not because the ant/resolver was too
old. Bleh - i will stop explaining and go try to fix it.

--David