forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Making future Forrest upgrades less painful
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 13:05:57 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking, lots of projects like FOP have an overridden 0.4 sitemap.
> > These projects cannot be built out the box with Forrest 0.5.  The sitemap
> > needs to be ported to 0.5's.  Once that happens,  all users wishing to
> > build docs have to switch from 0.4 to 0.5 en-mass.
> >
> > To prevent a similar situation in 0.5 -> 0.6, how about we let users
> > provide version-specific sitemaps:
> >
> > src/documentation/sitemap-0.5.xmap
> >
> > So if src/documentation/sitemap-<version>.xmap is found, it is used in
> > preference to src/documentation/sitemap.xmap.  That way, when we release
> > Forrest 0.6, people can still build projects with Forrest 0.5.
> >
> > Thoughts?  Better ideas?  If not I'll have a go at doing this for 0.5
> >
> > --Jeff

Sounds like an elegant solution to me. Typical.

> An XSLT file for them to convert their sitemap from 0.4 to 0.5 would be
> useful too.  But that might not be possible if there are some complex
> changes, in which case we should provide a document explaining the changes
> that the enduser would have to do to upgrade their file.
>
> Dave Brondsema

A transformation tool could be difficult - so many possibilities.

I help/do a website where we need to have our own sitemap. It is
only one tiny match to intercept a certain document and generate
it with full DocBook. We just mark the section we have added and
occasionally copy the Forrest head sitemap and re-insert our match.

It would be cool to have an Ant task in the build that took our
sitemap snippet and inserted it at the top of the matchers in a
copy of the default sitemap.

--David Crossley