forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Re: Can't seem to get my forrest configured...
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:17:26 GMT
Thanks for your help, however ... (and I'm sure you'll rightly groan at me)
... but I couldn't see the wood for the trees. ;-)

I moved from a non-standard hierarchy (src/documentation seems odd for
generated pages which aren't documentation per se) to the standard
hierarchy. In doing so I eventually found my forrest.properties had been
above where they should be. Because I was dynamically creating the seed
directory, the command line (w/ tonnes of forrest parameters), and doing so
from a remote script (often run by cron) I wasn't seeing the issue. I wrote
a unit test to just launch forrest, but I still couldn't see it the problem.
A bunch of manual runs, along with comparing to the seed tree, and I found
discrepancies.

I wonder, does (or could) forrest log a warning if it doesn't find a
properties file, or an entities file, or other? I tried running with no
debug, then with -verbose and then -debug, and maybe there was too much
information, but I never saw anything that hit me. [Want me to log a feature
request, or is it staring me in the face?]

Once I reverted to the standard hierarchy, removed all the command line
parameters, and edited some typos in the properties/skinconf.xml, I get the
result:

http://gump.chalko.com/py/index.html

BTW: I am just adding the icon stuff, and haven't created icons yet, hence
those broken links.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

[Somehow posting always seems to help me find the problem. It does it almost
always! Perhaps it is attempting to write a logical e-mail that helps me see
the problem (I always wait a while before pressing send), perhaps it is just
fate's little joke at me. ;-) I hope I didn't waste folks time. ]

BTW: Per this, this is 0.5-dev. I'm thinking about ways to bootstrap or
download the forrest that Gump uses.

http://gump.chalko.com/py/checkenvironment/check_forrest.html

regards,

Adam