forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: Where to put components (Re: cvs commit: ...)
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:02:44 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 07/08/2003 14.56:

> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 02:24:53PM +0200, Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
>>The root problem is the way we overwrite sitemap, and the need for users
>>to overwrite it.
> Yes.

Another need is that to define the sources of the files, that are not
necessarily on the disk.

> No idea how to fix this though..?

I still remember a guy that asked to be able to "include" sitemap parts,
because he had different teams working together on the sitemap.

I replied to him that he had to partition the URI space to make it
possible that these teams work on separated spaces. It makes sense, as
they do not need to step on each other just because they defined the
same URI.

Now, that is not the same thing as now, because we don't want or need a
generic include mechanism, but a way of *decorating* our sitemap.

> Maybe the solution is outside Forrest.  Perhaps we could write a SAX
> handler that constructs a 'virtual' sitemap by reading the Forrest
> default sitemap, and then adding user-defined parts..

Let's talk about what we intend to see before discussing implementation.

I imagine that we define some "extension" points in the sitemap where we
reckon that users should be able to add definitions, or even override
behaviour. Since we won't change these points, changing sitemaps would
not change the users ones.

How would users use it in practice? Hmmm... I'd want to override a match
for instance, and in case pass it on. I'd also like to be able to insert
extra components in the pipeline, like for example a pre-skinning
transformer, *without* messing with the Forrest-defined pipeline.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -