forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject CLI Caching, etc
Date Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:41:33 GMT
Just to keep you up to date with my work on the CLI:

I found a bug which meant that Cocoon wasn't holding onto its cache each
time it shut down and restarted, which explained why the CLI wasn't
using its cache. Vadim fixed the bug.

So, the CLI can now read out of the cache correctly. However, it seems
that the cache is either slightly slower than page generation, or much
the same, so there's no real benefit of this bug fix, at least in this area.

Also, because pages now come from the cache, pipelines aren't processed,
and the LinkGatherer component no longer works, so we only have LinkView
gathering for following links :-(

The one benefit of this is that it is now easy to identify whether a
page came out of the cache, if it did, to compare the timestamp of the
file on disc with the timestamp of the cached element, and only save to
disc if the cached element is newer. So, we haven't yet speeded things
up, but we have got it to only update changed files.

So, if you are happy with link view (for the moment), and like the idea
of only updating pages that have changed, then update to CVS Cocoon.
Otherwise, stick with the one you've got.

I would be interested in your comments upon this mixed set of consequences.

I will try to get linkGathering working again, but it does involve
digging a bit further than I'm used to.

Regards, Upayavira