forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Upayavira" ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject CLI and the Cocoon cache
Date Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:53:07 GMT
Just thought you guys might like to see some figures. I realised recently that
Cocoon by default uses a transient cache, which means that the cache is lost
every time Cocoon restarts. And of course every run of the CLI restarts Cocoon,
thus clearing the cache :-(  I've asked for help on cocoon-dev to get Cocoon to use
a persistent cache. We'll see how I get on...

Anyway, to show the sort of impovements possible, here's two pages, each
generated twice in the same instance of Cocoon, thus the second rendering of
each page is cached.

* docs/index.html [4.447 seconds]
* docs/index.html [0.3 seconds]
* samples/hello-world/hello.html [0.381 seconds]
* samples/hello-world/hello.html [0.04 seconds]
Total time: 0 minutes 14 seconds

Last time we managed a reduction of around 50%, which was good. This time we
could get a factor of ten improvement!

Once I've got it consistently rendering from the cache, I'll look into preventing it
from writing the file when it chooses to use the cached version, which'll improve
matters even more.

Thought you guys like these figures!

Regards, Upayavira