forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Upayavira" ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject CLI Reporting
Date Sat, 09 Aug 2003 05:33:31 GMT
Dear Forresters,

I asked this of cocoon-dev and got no response, so I'll ask here.

I'm in the process of completing a significant rewrite of the Cocoon CLI, which I
hope the Cocoon and Forrest communities will accept. It supports most of the
existing functionality, but the code is much easier to follow, debug and enhance.

One consequence of this is that I can report a lot more of what is going on. I've got
it reporting (to stdout) for each page:
	* the number of links per page
	* the number of as yet unvisited links per page
	* the time taken to generate the page
	* the actual links found in a page
	* whether those links are broken
	* whether those links have already been added to the crawlers link list

I'll no doubt think of more things that can be reported. So, I have two questions:

1) Are there other things you'd like to know, to give the process greater visibility?

2) How should I report this information. There's three possibilities:
	* to the screen (results in a lot of info scrolling by)
	* to an XML file (extending the broken links xml file idea)
	* to the standard Cocoon log files (don't support structured data)

Any thoughts?

Regards, Upayavira