forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Juan Jose Pablos <che...@che-che.com>
Subject Re: Where to put components (Re: cvs commit: ...)
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:24:53 GMT
Jeff,

Jeff Turner wrote:

> status.xmap does not use any readers, selectors or resources, so why
> should it declare a dependency on any, or define any?

That is what I am asking you!, on your last change, you added more stuff
  than what I think is needed.

> status.xmap does use generators, transformers and serializers, so there
> should probably be
>
> <map:components>
>   <map:generators default="file"/>
>   <map:transformers default="xslt"/>
>   <map:serializer type="html"/>
> <//map:components>

But on the last commit you added as well:

 >     <map:readers default="resource"/>
 >     <map:selectors default="browser"/>

and there are a:

   <map:resources>
   </map:resources>

If there should not be there, let me know and I will removed them.

> I'm not following.  If I see
>
>   <map:transformers default="xslt"/>
>
> I know that this subsitemap expects 'xslt' to be defined for it.  Why
> would I redefine it?  If I wanted to, what's wrong with that?

There is nothing wrong with define another transformer, but it is wrong
if you are going to define the same transformer ( as it happends)
because that is duplication.

Belive or not, this code produces confusion, it you want to leave as
documentation then let's use <!-- coments -->. I do not like code that
does not anything but confuse :-)

> Yes I see that.  For example, if we defined the HTML generator only in
> raw.xmap, and then later moved it to sitemap.xmap, we'd break things.
> However, we could always leave a duplicate definition in raw.xmap.  The
> other way round (moving from sitemap.xmap to a subsitemap) always breaks
> things.  It is still better to start with a limited scope, and then
> expand it if necessary.

The root problem is the way we overwrite sitemap, and the need for users
to overwrite it.

Can we have an external xml file with all definitions?

Cheers,
Cheche