forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Juan Jose Pablos <che...@che-che.com>
Subject Re: Moving map:components to the root sitemap?
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:02:20 GMT
Jeff,

Jeff Turner wrote:
> Sorry I didn't participate back then.  What was the reason for this
> change?

The reason for the change was to avoid side-effects when you modify the
definition on the parent element (sitemap.xmap).

 >  I'd have thought it makes more sense to define the component
> where it is used.  Putting subsitemap component definitions in the root
> sitemap breaks the separation of concerns between sitemaps.

But allows to have all the definitions in one place.

>   For
> instance, I now have to have nekodtd, the Chaperon lexer, the profiler
> and various other seemingly irrelevant components cluttering my
> sitemap.xmap.  Currently, the sitemaps are designed so that if any
> modifications are required, they can probably be done in sitemap.xmap,
> not touching the other sitemaps.  But now that the component definitions
> are all in sitemap.xmap, any time it is overridden, it prevents
> subsitemaps from being painlessly upgraded.

If the definition have not been changed on the submap then it is not
beeen upgrade, because it use the old definition. That is exactly what
we wanted to avoid.

You think you upgraded and you are using the old stuff.

In the case where you need to overwrite the definition on the submap
because you have a reason then you can still doing it.

We could have an argument on this:

Either:
A1) Define components on one place only (sitemap.xmap)
A2) Define where is used to (submaps).

I think that we can have a mix if you wish:
B) Define in sitemap.xmap when is used in more than one submap.

I am happy with any solution as long as *a component is only defined once*.

Cheers,
Cheche