forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [patch] person tag
Date Sat, 23 Aug 2003 07:43:54 GMT
On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:37:40PM -0400, Dave Brondsema wrote:

> Hello?  The lack of response to some of my posts here, and for other OS projects
> is frustrating.  Especially when what I'm posting is a patch, hopefully
> something to improve the project.  What does it mean when nobody responds?

It means it bypassed people's radars the first time, and a reminder email
should be sent.  Bigger projects use bugtrackers to ensure patches don't
get lost.  Perhaps we should too.

In this case, I didn't respond because I'm not sure if the patch is a
good idea, and wanted time to think/hear people's opinions.  A page with
a mailto: link to the author implies that the author should be contacted
for comments/changes.  That is not the case in ASF projects, where
authorship does not equal ownership.  If anything, I'd like to go the
other way; make the appearance of *any* accreditation on the web page
optional.  What do people think?

> You don't care?
> You're too busy?
> This patch doesn't work?
> You don't like me?
> This patch isn't even wanted?
>
> I'd fork forrest right now, just so I could do commits.  But obviously that
> wouldn't be good in the long run, since eventually my changes would be drastic
> enought that I couldn't merge mainline changes into mine.

In Forrest, almost everything can be overridden in the project itself, so
modifying Forrest isn't necessary.  For instance, modified skin
stylesheets can be put in
$PROJECT/src/documentation/skins/@skin@/xslt/html

--Jeff