forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CLI Reporting
Date Sat, 09 Aug 2003 13:29:57 GMT
On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 01:37:28PM +0100, Upayavira wrote:
> On 9 Aug 2003 at 19:42, Jeff Turner wrote:
> > X [0] site:changes      BROKEN: No pipeline matched request:
> > site:changes from page sitemap-ref.xml
>
> It'd take some thinking, but it should be doable. Partly because that link might be
> used in more than one place, so you'd need to report a broken link and all its linking

> pages, which is kinda the other way around from what I've been planning.

Each broken link could be reported as it is encountered:

X [0] site:changes      BROKEN: No pipeline matched request: site:changes from page index.xml
X [0] site:changes      BROKEN: No pipeline matched request: site:changes from page sitemap-ref.xml

Meaning only one link, to the page's parent, need be recorded when the
link sampler encounters it.

> > Or even better,
> >
> > X [0] site:changes      BROKEN: No pipeline matched request:
> > site:changes from page sitemap-ref.xml line 102
>
> Given the way that links are gathered, it won't be possible to calculate line numbers

> (i.e. in a SAX pipeline).

Well there's the org.xml.sax.Locator object, but I don't know if Cocoon
does much with it.

> > > 2) How should I report this information. There's three
> > > possibilities: 	* to the screen (results in a lot of info scrolling
> > > by) 	* to an XML file (extending the broken links xml file idea) 	*
> > > to the standard Cocoon log files (don't support structured data)
> >
> > Perhaps real-time text, as currently done, with full XML logged at the
> > same time?  Then one day we could have a web interface for Forrest
> > with a "render this site to disk" button.   Once the CLI is done, we
> > could transform the output to HTML.
>
> Okay. So we have minimal output to stdout, and XML generated to log what's been
> going on. And I'll use SAX for creating that XML rather than DOM so that it'll be ready

> for a decent cocoon based web interface (such as Unico's publishingService).
>
> Thanks for this. I'll see what I can get going, and then put what I've got into the
> Cocoon scratchpad. I hope you'll be willing to give it a go.

Certainly will.  Thanks!

--Jeff