forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <>
Subject Re: Moving map:components to the root sitemap?
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:29:14 GMT
On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 10:02:20AM +0200, Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Jeff,
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >Sorry I didn't participate back then.  What was the reason for this
> >change?
> The reason for the change was to avoid side-effects when you modify the
> definition on the parent element (sitemap.xmap).

AFAIK the component definitions in subsitemaps override those in
sitemap.xmap, so I don't see how this could be the case?

In fact I'd imagine quite the opposite happening; people modify the
component definition in sitemap.xmap, and this has unanticipated effects
in subsitemaps.

> >  I'd have thought it makes more sense to define the component
> >where it is used.  Putting subsitemap component definitions in the root
> >sitemap breaks the separation of concerns between sitemaps.
> But allows to have all the definitions in one place.
> >  For
> >instance, I now have to have nekodtd, the Chaperon lexer, the profiler
> >and various other seemingly irrelevant components cluttering my
> >sitemap.xmap.  Currently, the sitemaps are designed so that if any
> >modifications are required, they can probably be done in sitemap.xmap,
> >not touching the other sitemaps.  But now that the component definitions
> >are all in sitemap.xmap, any time it is overridden, it prevents
> >subsitemaps from being painlessly upgraded.
> >
> If the definition have not been changed on the submap then it is not
> beeen upgrade, because it use the old definition. That is exactly what
> we wanted to avoid.

I don't understand.  I'm talking about when the definition _has_ changed
in a subsitemap.

For example, say we introduce support for a new Wiki format in
forrest.xmap, that requires a new component,
org.apache.forrest.WikiTransformer.  If we define this component in
sitemap.xmap, what happens to everyone with customized sitemap.xmaps?
Their site will break, because their customized sitemap does not define
the new component.

> You think you upgraded and you are using the old stuff.

Yes, that's exactly the problem I had today, and many others are going to
have.  I found that menu.xmap broke, because my overridden sitemap.xmap
didn't define a component.

> Cheers,
> Cheche

View raw message