forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Menu questions
Date Sat, 02 Aug 2003 03:23:01 GMT
On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 06:42:37PM -0400, Brett Presnell wrote:

> In message <20030801132512.GB3997@expresso.localdomain> you write:
> >
> > How does this look:
> >
> > http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/forrest/samples/hidden-menus-site/
> >
> > It's a modified 'forrest seed' site, where page[1-5].html pages have a
> > customized menu, showing their page*.html peers and index.html 'parent';
> > for example:
> >
> > http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/forrest/samples/hidden-menus-site/page1.html
> >
> > Is this more or less what you're after?
>
> Yes, very much so.  I'm feeling guilty that you spent your time doing
> this, but thanks very much.

;) I'm trying to build up a library of useful sample modifications.

> I think that I need to understand Forrest's menu generation better
> anyway -- by playing around with site.xml, I'm able to make some things
> happen that I just don't understand.  Maybe this will help me get
> started.

The practical aspects of menu generation are described here:

http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest/linking.html

The actual mechanics of it, in the sitemap, is described at:

http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest/sitemap-ref.html#menu_xml_generation

The best way to learn the sitemap is by experimentation with a live site
('forrest run &'; browse http://localhost:8888; tinker with
build/webapp/*.xmap).  Each intermediate step in page production is
visible:

http://localhost:8888/index.html
  http://localhost:8888/body-index.html
  http://localhost:8888/tab-index.html
  http://localhost:8888/menu-index.html
    http://localhost:8888/book-index.html
      http://localhost:8888/menulinks-index.html

There is some XSLT black magic in the menulinks pipeline (in menu.xmap),
where site.xml is first processed.

--Jeff