forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: xml-document not defined
Date Sun, 31 Aug 2003 05:43:08 GMT
cheche@che-che.com wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure if this is a good idea.  Most projects are still using
> > doc-v11.  I'm using doc-v20a.
>
> I am happy to move that to doc-v11

The point is that this declaration should not be hard-wired.
Can it be configured, perhaps in the forrest.properties file?

> > What is the benefit of adding a DOCTYPE
> > declaration to our intermediate XML?
>
> because you produce xml output as well, I use that to validate the xml
> files:
>
> on skinconf:
> <disable-xml-link>false</disable-xml-link>
>
> forrest
> forrest validate-site
>
> you need DOCTYPE to validate it.

The validation stuff is a nice facility. It certainly shows
some problems. I have started to fix some of its revelations.

As various people have been hinting in the past, Relax NG would
be a good solution here - no need to declare a DTD. Anyway what
you have is good for a start.

I too think that we should consider the impacts and side-effects
of adding a document type declaration to the internal xml.

Rather than adding the document type declaration by default, it may be
better to have this as a user tip in the validation.html document.

Always adding the DTD must slow it down a little in production
because the xml parser then needs to resolve and read yet another DTD.

--David