forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: [patch] person tag
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 00:35:21 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
> >
> > Hello?  The lack of response to some of my posts here, and for other OS projects

> > is frustrating.  Especially when what I'm posting is a patch, hopefully
> > something to improve the project.  What does it mean when nobody responds?
>
> It means it bypassed people's radars the first time, and a reminder email
> should be sent.  Bigger projects use bugtrackers to ensure patches don't
> get lost.  Perhaps we should too.

Well we have Forrest Jira linked from the Forrest website and it does
get used. Of course, that does not mean that a contribution will receive
any more attention ... just ensures that it does not get lost.

Dave, for many of us it is simply that we cannot keep up. I for one,
participate on two big projects and a couple of small ones ... and can
just manage to scan for important stuff at the moment.

Please persist when you do not get attention. It takes a while to build
a strong vibrant opensource community. Forrest is getting there.

> In this case, I didn't respond because I'm not sure if the patch is a
> good idea, and wanted time to think/hear people's opinions.  A page with
> a mailto: link to the author implies that the author should be contacted
> for comments/changes.  That is not the case in ASF projects, where
> authorship does not equal ownership.  If anything, I'd like to go the
> other way; make the appearance of *any* accreditation on the web page
> optional.  What do people think?

I am with Jeff. The community must deal with everything. The way is
to have all discussions happen on the mailing list, certainly not
one-to-one discussions.

--David