forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Konstantin Piroumian" <kpiroum...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multilanguage sites
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:04:37 GMT
From: "Corneanu Dan" <cdan@savatech.ro>
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> >How about having separate directories for each language?
> >
> >src/documentation/content/xdocs/en/*.xml
> >src/documentation/content/xdocs/de/*.xml
> >src/documentation/content/xdocs/fr/*.xml
> >

> This is a good idea. There is only one thing bothering me and this is
> having multiple site.xml + tabs.xml files, one in every language folder
> (src/documentation/content/xdocs/{en|de|fr}/site.xml etc.), all having
> the same content only some labels being translated. But I think this
> could be solved by an ant script that will prepare the
> {en|de|fr}/site.xml + {en|de|fr}/tabs.xml files for every language using
> a single site.xml + tabs.xml as source (endorsed with some translation
> information), before actually running forrest.
>
> I will try the solution you proposed and see how it feels.
>
> Also in the meantime I managed to put up a solution
> based on the structure I first proposed and I'm thinking of using the
> i18n module for menus and tabs translation.

I think that i18n transformer would be very useful for menus and tabs. And
it's not that difficult to plugin, just replace all the text labels
(elements) by:

<i18n:text>The label in default locale</i18n:text>

then create a dictionary directory, put translations there (e.g.
menu_de.xml) and then add 'i18n' transformation to the menu generation
pipeline.

I'd be glad to answer your questions if you decide to go this way.

-- Konstantin Piroumian   (kpiroumian@apache.org)