forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Juan Jose Pablos <che...@che-che.com>
Subject Re: xsl:output
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:46:27 GMT
Upayavira,

Upayavira wrote:

> Don't understand. Do you mean 'why doesn't the serializer read into the
> xslt stylesheet of the previous transformer to find out if there was an
> xsl:output node in it'? If so, that really wouldn't make sense.

Well, the fact is that the transformer know about xsl:output and instead
of ignore it, do something so the serializer knows what to do (copy the
elements whatever..)

> The fact is that xslt wasn't designed entirely with Separation of
> Concerns in mind. It does in places mix concerns that Cocoon tries to
> separate. So there are features in XSLT that aren't relevant to Cocoon
> and shouldn't be used (for example the document() function). In XSLT 2.0,
> there's more of them too.

Could you elaborate more on what features from the standard should not
be used by cocoon and the alternatives that you know?

ie.

Standard 			Cocoon

xsl:output  			map:serialize
document()			???

>>I mean, I happy as long I can make it happend, but I know that people
>>expect xsl:output to work
>

> Well, we just have to explain to them that Cocoon/Forrest work
> differently, and explain the benefits of the separation (e.g. you can
> serialize the results of the same XSL to either XML or HTML, to XHTML,
> etc, etc, etc, without changing the stylesheet, and thus without
> requiring multiple versions of the same stylesheet).

Possibly there is a lot of beneficts on the "Separation of Concerns" I
do not want to argue you that, I am not the one that wrote the standard
either but what I see is the result: "Cocoon does not support a standard
tag".

Cheers,
Cheche