forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [SUMMARY] Cleaning Forrest source directory madness
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:23:05 GMT

MAISONOBE Luc wrote, On 22/07/2003 9.34:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote :
>
>> But as you know in this way I cannot easily cater for the special case
>> in which I want to explicitly have something as-is, like for example a
>> raw document-dtd xml file.
>>
>> So the content dir is about all content, that Forrest *may* alter.
>> The raw dir is about content that Forrest may *not* alter in any way.
>
> I think I get something wrong during the discussion or do not understand
> the quoted statements. Do you mean that only xml files written with a
> forrest-compliant dtd will still be processed if put in the raw
> directory, and that xml files written with dtd unknown to forrest can be
> put there and stay untouched ?

No, sorry, I'll try to explain better.

Everything you put in raw will be given as it is.
Everything put in the content dir will be able to be transformed.

So in the content dir you can put anything:

  - forrest dtd files
  - html files
  - text files
  - images
  - pdfs

But you don't have the guarantee that Forrest will not touch them!

For example, it will do:

  - forrest dtd files -> to html
  - html files -> to forrest dtd and again html
  - text files -> to forrest dtd and again html
  - images -> can be resized for WAP in the future
  - pdfs -> in the future can be decorated

What you can use as a rule it:

  - files that need to be "skinned" go in content
  - files that already have their presentation and should
    not be skinned go in raw

> I do not think I have any voting rights, but I agree with this proposal
> (I really need to put my own xml files untouched on my site).

Exactly the need for a raw dir or a label in site.xml.

BTW, we can do both if we want.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -