forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [SUMMARY] Cleaning Forrest source directory madness
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 06:49:22 GMT
This is a summary and final decision-vote about the new dir structure
that Forrest will have in version 0.6 (ie not the one we have now but
the next one).

"Cleaning Forrest source directory madness"
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=forrest-dev@xml.apache.org&msgNo=5715

Below is a summary of the results that have come from this thread:

Conceptually:

  documentation
    content -> model
      - files to process (1)
      - files not to process (2)
    resources -> controller
    skins -> view

We would have use definable (KISS)

files to process-dir (1)
files not to process-dir (2)

What can [files to process (1)] contain?

- *.xml   (documentdtd, faq, changes, todo, status, etc)
- *.html  (html4, to be tidied)
- *.xhtml (xhtml1, xhtml2-dev)
- *.wiki
- *.png,gif,etc

The default content dirs 1,2 would be:

  documentation/
    content/*.xml (1)
    content/images/*.png (1)
    content/raw/foo.html (2)

The only special dir that will remain is "raw", and it seems that there
is a real-life use case for it.

Mind me, we still add a **.* matcher at the end of the
content-handling pipeline, so that content/** can still contain anything
(ie cocoon can proces it but in this case can also decide to just pass
along).

But as you know in this way I cannot easily cater for the special case
in which I want to explicitly have something as-is, like for example a
raw document-dtd xml file.

So the content dir is about all content, that Forrest *may* alter.
The raw dir is about content that Forrest may *not* alter in any way.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -