forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-forrest/src/resources/stylesheets text2document.xsl
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 06:49:17 GMT

Juan Jose Pablos wrote, On 21/07/2003 20.46:

> Dave,
>

>>> As far as I am aware you only crawled files that are include on the
>>> book.xml / site.xml files.
>>
>> All links on a page are crawled, unless specified in filterlinks.xsl.
>
> The way the links got on a page is defined either on site.xml or a local
>  book.xml file.

Not necessarily. The links *can* be there, or can oven not be there.
For example, CSS styles can use images inside, but Cocoon does *not*
crawl CSS files!

Or if we want to include some html as-is, Cocoon will not crawl them,
and the links that they have will not be copied.

>> I have seen a lot of different ideas and suggestions about Forrest's
>> directories
>> over just the few weeks I've been on the list.  I suggest we get a
>> wiki set up,
>> post all the different ideas and allow for comments.  After some time and
>> perhaps IRC meetings, we could establish a firm vision of what the
>> directories
>> will look like in 0.5, 0.6, 1.0 or whatever.
>>

> If there is a lot of ideas on this is because not many people like that
> set up.
> I do not think we are going to have any change on this release, but
> having a direction to follow would helps.

There has already been a discussion on this, and you have partecipated.
I regard that there was consensus, but if it's not the case please
explain why WRT that discussion.
I will post a summary in a next mail titled "[SUMMARY] Cleaning Forrest
source directory madness".

>> This would only be possible in a webapp, not a static generated
>> website.  Even
>> then, most browsers can handle most formats.  It is normally the end
>> user who
>> chooses if they want plain text (eg, to copy to a document), html (eg, to
>> browse), pdf (eg, to print).
>
> 1) I can not see the technical reason of why "This would only be
> possible in a webapp". Please explain a bit futher.

Content negotiation is dynamic. The CLI makes *one* request, not
different ones.

> 2) I do not talks just on formats, It could be diferent language.
>
> 3) Not all the user agents are end users. A search engine bot who wants
> just the content in spanish.
>
> It is not me who has these clever ideas (I wish!) , it is on the
> protocol stuff:  http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec12.html

Do you know Cocoon? Look at it, there are all the things you need.
But remember that static versions of the site will always be less
dynamic, of course.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -