forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Juan Jose Pablos <che...@che-che.com>
Subject Re: site.xml tabs.xml part of content??
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:19:10 GMT
Jeff,

> Is a site menu classified as content, or metadata?

If you take this definition http://www.w3.org/Metadata/ then menu is not
metadata.

but all the content for  Logo names, copyright, 'breadcrumb trail' links
and Credits goes under src/document/skin.conf

So why menu and tabs are diferent?

> Has the dog buddha-nature or not?

Well, some animals do:
http://www.theridion.com/images/logo-gnu.png

> Since it appears in the HTML output, is i18n'izable, etc, I'd say it is
> content.  Perhaps meta-content.  This view is strengthened the the fact
> that really, we ought to be deriving most of site.xml directly from the
> XML files themselves.

I like the idea of delivering most of the elements directly from the xml
files, in fact, I saw this problem when I was playing with the
DirectoryGenerator, if you use it for the whole site, you need to
exclude book.xml, site.xml, tabs.xml files.

> More practically, I like site.xml in the content because then all the
> hrefs are correct.  In my editor I can type 'gf' ("goto file") to quickly
> traverse the href.

I agree it is useful, but I am think it creates more confusion for
users. It is common to have just only one config directory instead of two.