forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding *.html matcher to xdocs
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:54:10 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 10/07/2003 11.35:

> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 02:52:50PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Jeff Turner wrote, On 09/07/2003 11.32:
>>
>>>Forgetting the solution for a moment; what is the problem?
>>
>>@see Subject: Adding *.html matcher to xdocs
>>
>>Need: I want to use html in my intranet Forrest, because they are not
>>able to work with PlainTextEditors. That means using the standard *.html
>>extension, and a way of making my users not tread on the skin by using
>>style tags and other similar amoenities.
>
> I don't understand the last bit.  How are you going to limit these
> WYSIWYG editors' output to just the subset of HTML that Forrest's ihtml
> supports?

I'm not going to (never thought of either). XSL will dump all
unrecognized tags, as it does now with ihtml. This BTW is another reason
why ihtml style is better for this.

> How can Forrest *content* ever be edited by a WYSIWYG tool
> that outputs *presentation*?

HTML tools output not only presentation (as you know, HTML has two set
of tags, the semantic ones and the presentational ones), and any
*decent* editor will give you a *reasonable* presentation of the
semantical content you are editing.

Strip out the presentation part, and there you have your content.

Are you saying that a WYSIWYG tool has no notion of content? ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -