forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding *.html matcher to xdocs
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2003 12:10:02 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 08/07/2003 12.41:
> If anything, I propose we get rid of *.ihtml and rename *.ehtml to
> *.html, since:
>  - ihtml has been broken for most of 0.5's development
>  - I don't think many (any?) people use it
>  - masquerading our nice semantic doc-v12 as HTML seems like a bad idea
>    to begin with, because users have no idea what they *can't* put in
>    ihtml.

This last point is interesting... it declares the problems of using an
othogonal format (more in some areas, less in other) as a base format.
We can decide to fail if there is not correct content BTW.

Why do I need to have html files?

First of all, I want to use a decent editor for the docs. Html has
gazillions of editors, and also the docs would be automatically
human-readable as-is, from source format, with a browser.

The second reason is because of getting ready to xhtml2. But that's xml,
so we can easily validate that.

After other thinking, the "ehtml" feature is not only for html. What's
this "feature"? Content pass-through. Yes, I know I was against it
(IIRC?) and that IIRC I said it was a big fat hole in the content
separation, but it's damn useful if used right, and it's not a hole.
Skins can still decide to bypass it! It's not something that Cocoon
de-facto pushes through, it's something that skins can decide to work
with. We can make mistakes, can we? ;-)

Imagine a <asis></asis> tag that makes everything pass through. It could
be used for all formats, and in html it could be a <div class=asis/> tag.

So this would bring us with:
  - a single html stylesheet ala *.ihtml
  - all unknown tags show a warning message
  - all div <class="asis"/> contents are passed through by our skins

Deal?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -