forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Karma request: All Cocoon committers become Forrest committers
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:08:16 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 02:22:25PM +0200, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>Jeff Turner wrote:
>>

>>>Dear root,
>>>
>>>The Forrest committers recently voted (seven +1's, no -1's) to give all Cocoon
committers (present and future) access to the xml-forrest repository, since Forrest is a Cocoon
subproject in spirit if not in actuality.

>>I'm very happy to see fences going down between brother projects (the same thing happend
recently between with Excalibur), but I'm wondering about what is now the definition of "committer",
mainly in the area of voting rights.

>We'll follow the time-honoured process of Making it Up As We Go Along..
>

>>Who has the right to vote on Forrest issues ? All those that have write
>>access to Forrest CVS, or only those that are in Forrest's line in the
>>"avail" file ?
>>

>Being in Forrest's avail entry sounds best.  While it might be fun to keep Brian on his
toes with pointless adjustments, I think we can just 'pretend'.

>>In the second case, how will "write-access committers" become "real" committers ?
>>

>After they show 'commitment'.  Usually by committing stuff :)

That's my point of view also. But having CVS access for non committers
also means that commitment can no more be measured by the number of
patches, but by the number of commits, which will be intermingled with
commits from "real committers".

>It's interesting how the technical limitations of CVS access control have shaped the sociology
of open source..

Let's say that CVS's avail file is an objective source of information
regarding who's registered where ;-)

Sylvain