forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [patch] 'process' and 'raw' content directories
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:10:58 GMT
On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 04:40:58PM -0400, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Dave Brondsema <dave@brondsema.net>:
>
> > This patch is so that content/raw and content/process directories are
> > used rather than content/ and content/xdocs.  It uses <sync> where
> > possible (more
> >
> > than before).  It does not break compatibility with existing
> > projects, unless
> >
> > they override a xmap file.
> >
> > I have tested it with static file generation and as a webapp.
> >
> > Someone should verify that `forrest overrides` and `forrest backcopy`
> > work.
> >
> > I don't have a project here that overrides xmap files.  I think that
> > 'backcopy' did not and still does not handle 'status.xml' and
> > 'skinconf.xml' properly.
> >

> Doesn't anyone have any thoughts about this?  Isn't this the direction
> we want to go?

Hmm, don't know.  FWIW, I thought there was some general consensus to:

 - by default, give full control to the user.  Ie, make 'process' the
   default behaviour.

 - Make 'raw' content specifiable by some external marker, like a
   raw="true" attribute in the site.xml node.  This is a more general,
   fine-grained solution than having a special raw/ directory.

 - Defer the whole problem until 0.5 :)  It's been 5 months since we had
   a release, which is _way_ too long.

> I tested this patch with a project at work and 'forrest overrides'
> works properly.  I don't use backcopy at all so I didn't test that.

Well hang onto that patch, I'm sure we can make use of it eventually.

--Jeff