forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Upayavira" ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: xsl:output
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:42:45 GMT
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:37:34 +0200, "Juan Jose Pablos"
<cheche@che-che.com> said:
> Upayavira,
>
> Upayavira wrote:
> >
> > Niether. It is by design. The <xsl:output> tag assumes that the
> > transformer is responsible also for serialization. However, in Cocoon
> > these have been separated into two different components. As the
> > transformer doesn't handle serialization, tags that are there to handle
> > it are ignored.
> >
> > Make sense?
> >
> > Regards, Upayavira
>
> Maybe I am saying something stupid, but why the serializer does not take
> that responsability?

Don't understand. Do you mean 'why doesn't the serializer read into the
xslt stylesheet of the previous transformer to find out if there was an
xsl:output node in it'? If so, that really wouldn't make sense.

The fact is that xslt wasn't designed entirely with Separation of
Concerns in mind. It does in places mix concerns that Cocoon tries to
separate. So there are features in XSLT that aren't relevant to Cocoon
and shouldn't be used (for example the document() function). In XSLT 2.0,
there's more of them too.

> I mean, I happy as long I can make it happend, but I know that people
> expect xsl:output to work

Well, we just have to explain to them that Cocoon/Forrest work
differently, and explain the benefits of the separation (e.g. you can
serialize the results of the same XSL to either XML or HTML, to XHTML,
etc, etc, etc, without changing the stylesheet, and thus without
requiring multiple versions of the same stylesheet).

Regards, Upayavira