forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Upayavira" ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: New CLI, twice as fast :)
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 05:41:55 GMT

> > Okay, so what you need then is to put the location of the xconf file into
> > the forrest.properties file, and then make the <java> task use the
> > property instead of a hardcoded path to the xconf.

> I think that would work.  But I just found
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CommandLine and it shows that
> commandline options such as contextDir can still be used.  If that is the
> case,
> the java task should send the variables from forrest.properties as
> arguments,
> like it used to.  Is there anything that can be done with cli.xconf that
> can't
> be done with command line arguments?  If not, there's no need for
> projects to
> have their own xconf at all, we can just stay with forrest.properties.

Basically, as the functionality of the CLI has grown, it has become
progressively less practical to use command line parameters to configure
it. Hence the xconf file. Check out the <uri> node, all but the default
option cannot be used via CLI arguments.

But we have (IIRC) set the arguments to override xconf, as you have
found. I don't know what happens if you have two xconfs, one for Forrest
in general, and one for a specific project. Try it, it might work! Put
the specific one second.

The benefit of switching to an xconf is that you're more likely to gain
access to further benefits of the CLI as it grows. For example,
configuring Forrest to store the generated site to an FTP server (just
using an ftp:// protocol in the destination folder), and other things
planned.

Regards, Upayavira