forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding *.html matcher to xdocs
Date Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:26:32 GMT
On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 03:12:45PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Which will give as an intermediate DocumentDTD-like format:

>       Other Content<br/>
>      <asis>
>        <form>
>          <input type="submit">
>        </form>
>      </asis>
>     </section>
>
> And the stylesheet can decide to show the content or not. In case of
> HTML output it will, in PDF no.
>
> The upside is that this "asis" DocumentDTD tag can be used in more than
> just html. In this case we could make a:
>
>  <asis type="html">
>        <form>
>          <input type="submit">
>        </form>
>    <pdf>
>        <!-- xform stuff -->
>    </pdf>
>    <fallback>
>       <warning>This is a submit button, viewed only if using
>                html output.</warning>
>    </fallback>
>   </asis>
>
> to differentiate. It's a bit like introducing assembler code in an ANSI
> C (therefore potentially fully portable) code, but with the fact that
> since content is not code, we can decide to not show it at all if not
> recognized by the stylesheet.
>
> Hope it makes more sense now.

Much more sense, thanks.

For me, separation between content and presentation is fundamental to
Forrest.  There's no clearer violation of SoC than to embed HTML in a
doc-v11 page.  Even if it is useful, I don't think Forrest should go
there.  At least, not the CVS trunk -- you're welcome to fork a few files
off into a branch.

But really, if you absolutely *need* to use a HTML editor to generate
content, I think a tool like Anakia is much more appropriate.  It lets
you use any HTML you want, and IIRC has a PDF plugin somewhere.

--Jeff