forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: site.xml tabs.xml part of content??
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:47:05 GMT
On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 04:33:00PM +0200, Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Hi!,
> Is there a real reason of why we have site.xml and tabs.xml files
> inside of the content/xdocs directory?

That is an excellent question.  I had a very hard time deciding
originally.

Is a site menu classified as content, or metadata?

Has the dog buddha-nature or not?

Since it appears in the HTML output, is i18n'izable, etc, I'd say it is
content.  Perhaps meta-content.  This view is strengthened the the fact
that really, we ought to be deriving most of site.xml directly from the
XML files themselves.

More practically, I like site.xml in the content because then all the
hrefs are correct.  In my editor I can type 'gf' ("goto file") to quickly
traverse the href.

> I do not see a reason of why we put site.xml there:
>
> menu.xmap:        <map:generate src="content/xdocs/site.xml" />
> linkmap.xmap:        <map:generate src="content/xdocs/site.xml" />
> sitemap.xmap:        <map:match pattern="site.xml">
>
> and after create rules to ignore it:
>
> forrest.properties:#forrest.validate.xdocs.excludes=site.xml

This isn't an indication that site.xml is misplaced, but simply that it
isn't validateable by DTDs.

Woof,

--Jeff