forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FAQs always generate a NullPointer
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:57:03 GMT
On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:05:31AM +0100, Ramsay Domloge wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have noticed that Forrest or one of its counterparts is generating a
> NullPointerException when building my site. It seems to do this whilst
> building the FAQ pages. Here is an example:
>
>  * [28] security/openssl.html
>  * [0] security/index.pdf
>  * [25] cliprun/reqspec.html
>  * [0] cliprun/index.pdf
>  * [25] ingest_agents/reqspec.html
> java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at
> org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.run(TransformerImpl.java:3407)
>  * [25] ingest_agents/faq.html
>  * [0] ingest_agents/index.pdf
>  * [27] mccann/functionslist.html
>  * [27] mccann/mcann-systest.html
>  * [27] mccann/ingest-test.html
>
> This little example appears about 5 times during the complete site build
> and always occurrs during the FAQ page. Here is the FAQ page that causes
> the above error:

[snip XML that I assume validates]

> Can anyone tell me why this is happening? The site seems to build fine,
> but it's still rather worrying...

It is almost impossible to debug errors generated from the command-line,
especially NPEs.  The best way is to run Forrest as a webapp ('forrest
run', then browse http://localhost:8888), and click around until you find
the broken page.  Remember to try PDFs, as they are less forgiving with
broken links and XML.

Once you have found the page, try invoking some of the sub-pipelines.  If
the broken page is faq.html, try faq.xml and body-faq.xml.  Keep an eye
on build/webapp/WEB-INF/logs/* while you do this.

HTH,

--Jeff