forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding *.html matcher to xdocs
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:41:21 GMT
On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 07:22:34PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> We now have *.ihtml and *.ehtml matchers for html pages in the xdocs
> dir. The rationale was that *.html files should have to be given "raw",
> because of possible single-directory contents.
>
> But since we have decided to separate the directories that generate with
> forrest from the "raw" ones, I propose that we add new matchers, as it
> won't impact our users (just add, not remove).
>
> Currently we have the contents/ dir for raw, and the contents/xodcs dir
> for generated.
>
> This is the proposal for the standard matchers to use in the xdocs dir
> (deprecating old ones). These will all be converted to our intermediate
> format.
>
>     *.xml    [all xml files, with automatic sourcetype check]
>     *.dbk    [docbook, used also with the xml pipeline, from Abiword]
>     *.html   [currently *.ihtml]
>     *.xhtml  [new pipeline, will also use future xhtml2 docs]
>     *.wiki   [as now]
>     *.gif,*.png [all images]
>     *.svg    [as now]
>
> Is there something missing? (asciiart?)
>
> What remains out of this is the *.ehtml stuff. Any idea?

That is my question also.  The different extension serves to disambiguate
how the HTML is treated (as a doc-v11 flavour or simply well-formed
HTML).

If anything, I propose we get rid of *.ihtml and rename *.ehtml to
*.html, since:
 - ihtml has been broken for most of 0.5's development
 - I don't think many (any?) people use it
 - masquerading our nice semantic doc-v12 as HTML seems like a bad idea
   to begin with, because users have no idea what they *can't* put in
   ihtml.

--Jeff