forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [SUMMARY] Cleaning Forrest source directory madness
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:59:07 GMT
Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org>:

> We would have use definable (KISS)

good!

> files to process-dir (1)
> files not to process-dir (2)
>
> What can [files to process (1)] contain?
>
> - *.xml   (documentdtd, faq, changes, todo, status, etc)
> - *.html  (html4, to be tidied)
> - *.xhtml (xhtml1, xhtml2-dev)
> - *.wiki
> - *.png,gif,etc

What do you mean by "process"?  Link-following and pipelining?  Are these two
seperable (i.e., can forrest follow links from a raw .html)?  How do png and gif
files get processed?

> The default content dirs 1,2 would be:
>
>   documentation/
>     content/*.xml (1)
>     content/images/*.png (1)
>     content/raw/foo.html (2)
>
> The only special dir that will remain is "raw", and it seems that there
> is a real-life use case for it.

What is this use case?  The only thing I can think of is that ihtml/ehtml (i
forget which) files are now named .html (please point me to the discussion of
this if I am mistaken) and so the raw/ directory is necessary to distinguish
between a raw presentation of the html file and skinning the html file.  In this
case, if only one type of presentation of html files is desired, only one
directory is necessary (an xmap file may have to be changed if the desired
presentation is not the default).

If indeed the only use case is presentation of .html as both raw and skinned
pages, I think this is so unlikely that by default it should not be handled.  If
for some reason, someone needs this functionality, we can have an FAQ which
explains how to modify their xmap files to use a raw/ directory.

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net