forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-forrest/src/resources/stylesheets text2document.xsl
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:35:58 GMT
Quoting Juan Jose Pablos <cheche@che-che.com>:

> Nicola,
>
> > At first, I thought that having one only directory for content was ok.
> > But then users would want to have both html files that are shown as-is,
> > and html files that are decorated like other xml files.
>
> On the text example, you can have the content as-is, and the content
> decorated. You need to call the right extension.
>
> > Another problem comes with the fact that we may want to all files that
> > are not able to be crawled by Cocoon.
>
> As far as I am aware you only crawled files that are include on the
> book.xml / site.xml files.

All links on a page are crawled, unless specified in filterlinks.xsl.

> > ATM the content/xdocs nesting is in fact confusing, but we plan to
> > change that in the next release (BTW, it came out of a tentative to
> > merge into one the trees, but believe me, it doesn't work, I used it on
> > some projects and had to revert).
> >

> Could you give more info on what exactly did not work?

I have seen a lot of different ideas and suggestions about Forrest's directories
over just the few weeks I've been on the list.  I suggest we get a wiki set up,
post all the different ideas and allow for comments.  After some time and
perhaps IRC meetings, we could establish a firm vision of what the directories
will look like in 0.5, 0.6, 1.0 or whatever.

> I would like to see at least this to be include on the wish list.
>
> how difficult is to get here?
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html

This would only be possible in a webapp, not a static generated website.  Even
then, most browsers can handle most formats.  It is normally the end user who
chooses if they want plain text (eg, to copy to a document), html (eg, to
browse), pdf (eg, to print).

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net