forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Back to home-grown docs? (Re: [RT] New Target: sub-sitemap)
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:34:16 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 30/06/2003 15.21:
> Off in RT mode a bit..
>
> Every time I upgrade Forrest's jars, I think that Forrest should really
> just be a Cocoon block.  Despite its 20mb, there really isn't that much
> _content_ in Forrest.  A sitemap, some DTDs, a couple of skins, and an
> Ant-driven build process.
>
> That the 'core' of Forrest is so small leads me to wonder if Cocoon
> shouldn't just include what it needs of Forrest internally.
> What do people think?

Forrest is still just scratching the surfance of what it should do.
It should use Lenya underneath for a real CMS. It can integrate blogging
stuff from Linotype. It has a site updater.
These are things that have nothing to do with core Cocoon, which the
cocoon CVS repo and project are about.

Community-wise, Forrest is a different place, and it's IMHO correct to
keep it this way... do you imagine Forrest users and developers being
part of the cocoon lists?

If the point is about Forrest packaging, well, I understand what you
mean, it seems strange to have to update Cocoon. But I see more Forrest
as a pre-packaged and running Cocoon distro, in the future also with Lenya.

I doubt we will get much more users in moving to cocoon CVS, remember
the old docs system, and how much it was fixed? ;-)
Basing Forrest development on fixed jars is not a shortcoming but a
blessing that makes us able to not work on sand.

Nope, it makes sense to remain separate as now.

But you do make valid points. Here is a counterproposal:

1 - since we have basically voted to be part of the Cocoon project,
     give all Cocoon developers access to Forrest CVS
2 - Forrest should be able to be used as a Cocoon block.
     Too bad that blocks based on xslt,sitemaps,xml like Forrest
     don't yet truly exist.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -