forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Give all Cocoon committers CVS access?
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:12:54 GMT

Why is forrest-dev listed as subscribers only on gmane. Oh well, here it is.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Give all Cocoon committers CVS access?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:08:52 +0200
From: Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org>
Newsgroups: gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel,gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel

Jeff Turner wrote, On 24/06/2003 13.38:

> As most of you probably saw, there's a thread on cocoon-dev suggesting
> that Forrest ought to be a Cocoon subproject, with the consensus being it
> "makes sense".
>
> AFAICT the only practical difference would be that Cocoon committers
> would automatically become Forrest committers.  Sounds fine to me.  Can
> we vote on these issues then?
>
> Vote 1: Cocoon committers automatically become Forrest committers

+1

> Vote 2: Forrest should become a subproject of Cocoon
> (http://cocoon.apache.org/forrest)

+1

> I vote +1 and +/-0.  Both make sense, but 2) seems slightly more pain than
> gain, unless there's some advantage I've overlooked.

Well, when this issue first came out, I agreed that Forrest could become
different from Cocoon, and eventually use something else. Reality has
shown us that we are tied double-rope with Cocoon, and this is being a
good thing.

Xml and Cocoon PMCs are both very nice to be in, and as for communities
we are already cooperating anyways.

But now that Lenya is under Cocoon, I tend to think that it changes
things. And the more we go forward, the more we will be integrating new
parts of the Cocoon Project, assimilating things like Linotype and
Lenya, and becoming more and more part of the changes. We are a strong
use case of Cocoon and I hope also Lenya and Linotype soon, hence we can
be the reality check for all Cocoon projects.

The question I ask myself is: community-wise, where do we belong?
The answer is very easy: Cocoon.

As for the future, were will we belong community-wise?
Now I think that it also quite evident: Cocoon.

This is the reason why I vote Cocoon. I don't think it will be a major
change for us now practically, so it may seem more hassle than gain, but
when things will start playing out, it will IMHO become more evident
that we belong with the Cocoon community.

PS: This makes me think that Linotype should have its own project rather
than being just a block...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -