forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Speed (was Re: Forrest 0.5 outstanding issues...))
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:52:40 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote, On 16/06/2003 17.25:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote, On 16/06/2003 16.13:

>>>  - Speed!  Need to haul out the profiler and find out why normal Cocoon
>>>    CLI rendering is 5-10x faster than Forrest.
>>

>> +1
>>
>> I don't know if/when I'll have time, but I'll surely want to work on
>> this.
>

> Ok, so I ran hprof on it, with the krysalis-site skin ans PDFS, and it
> seems to tell me that most of the time is used in - guess what - in Xalan.
>
> So I though, hey, it's our bl--dy skin that sucks, with wierd templates.
> Guess what, this is what I got (all with PDF generation on):
>
>  template:     31 seconds
>  krysalis:     35 seconds
>  forrest:      34 seconds
>  forrest-css:  36 seconds
>
> Wait a sec, it's not only the kind of skin then. It's about the number
> and types of xsl transformations that it has to go through!
>
> So, what I will have to do now is to do a profile on Cocoon, because the
> java one has quite clearly shown that the problem is not in link
> translation or other Forrest-specific component, but in the xsl
> transformations, where they are, and what they do.
>
> Also, IIUC we are still using the old crawling method, is this correct?

Ok, done some profiling.
Attached is the result for a page.

First of all, there is a lot of difference between the first invocation
and the 4,5th one, that takes 50% less time. This happens also with the
non-caching pipeline, even if in the report there is not anymore as I
exceeded 10 calls (believe me).

But the major thing that I see is this in the non-caching body-index.html.

   20+1+1+39+49+3 != 355 !!!!

There are 242ms missing! Wierd, huh?
And if you look in the caching one, the divide seems even worse!

So, the real question to answer now is:

      What takes so long in the creation of the page body?

Then there are the tabs and the menu, that can be reused a lot with the
caching pipeline, and that shows in the numbers. So I guess that the
problem lies somewhere in body-xxx.html...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -