forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cleaning Forrest source directory madness
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:23:48 GMT

MAISONOBE Luc wrote, On 12/06/2003 10.40:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote :
>
>> Here is a first proposal:
>
>      [snip]
>
>> Here is another:
>
>      [snip]
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "mixed" in your first proposal and
> where the corresponding files would go in the second approach, in the
> -other- directories (html, ...) ? If this is the case, what is the
> -other- directories in the first approach for ?

Ahem, I think that without knowing it you have already replied to me
anyway ;-)

The first approach is one that makes it possible to completely mix the
two systems. As you point out, it's confusing.

> Another small remark, shouldn't the "images" directories renamed
> something like "global" or "global-scope" ? This would help understand
> the feature you explain and allow to put some any file type there like
> various scripts, or text files, or animations, or sound files or
> anything people would like to access from anywhere in their site.

Aha! Good name, I like it :-)

So, this is the updated proposal:

Scenario A (multiple dirs)

   content        all stuff to be "digested" by Forrest
     xdocs        xml document-dtd files
     html         html files
     mixed        all the above in one dir
   resources      all stuff to be referenced as-is
     images
     scripts
     styles
     mixed        all the above in one dir
   global         all stuff to be referenced as-is and is always relative
     images
     scripts
     styles
     mixed        all the above in one dir

Scenario B (single dirs)

   content        what is content/mixed in Scenario A
   resources      what is content/mixed in Scenario A
   global         what is content/mixed in Scenario A

But since as you point out the "mixed" dirs have little sense, and to
keep more compatibility with now, here is the final unified proposal:

   content        all stuff to be "digested" by Forrest
   <here goes mixed content>
     xdocs        xml document-dtd files
     html         html files
   resources      all stuff to be referenced as-is
   <here goes mixed resources>
     images
     scripts
     styles
   global         all stuff to be referenced as-is and is always relative
   <here goes mixed global>
     images
     scripts
     styles

This means that users will basically have these uses:

Scenario A (multiple dirs)

   content        all stuff to be "digested" by Forrest
     xdocs        xml document-dtd files
     html         html files
     wiki
   resources      all stuff to be referenced as-is
     images
     scripts
     styles
     files
   global         all stuff to be referenced as-is and is always relative
     images
     scripts
     styles
     files

Scenario B (single dirs)
   content        all stuff to be "digested" by Forrest
    <here goes mixed content>
   resources      all stuff to be referenced as-is
    <here goes mixed resources>
   global         all stuff to be referenced as-is and is always relative
    <here goes mixed global>

What about this?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -