forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Cleaning Forrest source directory madness
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 07:55:58 GMT

I'm looking into using XHTML 2.0, and now it seems to me that the
current documentation/ directory layout is confusing at best. To reduce
confusion I was obliged to use the default layout of Forrest in all my
projects.

IIRC I had started with that layout in the beginning, with the following
meaning:

   content        all stuff that has to be "digested" by Forrest
     xdocs          xml document-dtd files
     images         (added later) images that refer to the dir xdocs
     -other-
   resources      all stuff that has to be referenced as-is
     images         images that have a global use in all pages
     -other-

The idea with resources, was that they would be referencable as local to
the current (.) dir even if the were not.
So a resource that was in

   resources/images/image.gif

could be called from:

   http://site/image.gif
   http://site/images/image.gif
   http://site/any/path/and/then/image.gif

That was the initial meaning of resource. Something to remain as-is that
was referencable anywhere, both conceptually and in the path.

Now we have the the content/ dir can contain as-is content, and that
html files to process have to be separated by different extensions.

The problemn with the plain content/ dir is that the dir space of xdocs
and content are not separate, and create a nesting that is not there
conceptually.

But the biggest problem is with the html files in xdocs, that are *not*
processed. That means that the xdocs dir, that processes xml files, can
contain html files that it does not process and ihtml files that it
processes. And I still am not sure it's this way.

This was the result of two different dir management visions, the
-separate filetypes in dirs- one and -keep all files in the same
dirspace-. The problem is not that either approach is inherently flawed,
but that they are both applied not consistently.

Hence, I'd like to see a better separation, but I'm not sure how to do
it. Here is a first proposal:

   content        all stuff that has to be "digested" by Forrest
     mixed          all "digestable" things "mixed"
     xdocs          xml document-dtd files
     images         (added later) images that refer to the dir xdocs
     -other-
   resources      all stuff that has to be referenced as-is
     mixed          all "non-digestable" things "mixed"
     images         images that have a global use in all pages
     -other-

Here is another:

two separate scenarion:

   content        all stuff that has to be "digested" by Forrest, "mixed"
   resources      all stuff that has to be referenced as-is

   content        all stuff that has to be "digested" by Forrest
     xdocs          xml document-dtd files
     images         (added later) images that refer to the dir xdocs
     -other-
   resources      all stuff that has to be referenced as-is
     images         images that have a global use in all pages
     -other-

Ideas?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -