forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cleaning Forrest source directory madness
Date Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:47:43 GMT
On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 09:55:58AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

<snip resources explanation/>
> Now we have the the content/ dir can contain as-is content, and that
> html files to process have to be separated by different extensions.
>
> The problemn with the plain content/ dir is that the dir space of xdocs
> and content are not separate, and create a nesting that is not there
> conceptually.
>
> But the biggest problem is with the html files in xdocs, that are *not*
> processed. That means that the xdocs dir, that processes xml files, can
> contain html files that it does not process and ihtml files that it
> processes. And I still am not sure it's this way.

Why would anyone put *.html inside the xdocs/ directory?  The *.ihtml and
*.ehtml files are there because they're XML.

> This was the result of two different dir management visions, the
> -separate filetypes in dirs- one and -keep all files in the same
> dirspace-. The problem is not that either approach is inherently flawed,
> but that they are both applied not consistently.

Why is the separate-directories model inconsistently applied?

Would it help if we make xdoc processing the default, and put
copied-across content in a special directory:

content/index.xml
content/raw/foo.html

Then if we then renamed 'content' to 'xdocs', and moved images/ into
there, we'd have the Maven structure:

xdocs/*.xml
xdocs/images/*.png
xdocs/raw/foo.html

Just picking up on one aspect here:

>   resources      all stuff that has to be referenced as-is
>     mixed          all "non-digestable" things "mixed"
>     images         images that have a global use in all pages
>     -other-
>   resources      all stuff that has to be referenced as-is
>   resources      all stuff that has to be referenced as-is
>     images         images that have a global use in all pages
>     -other-

How about:

 - Declaring images as 'content', and moving them under content/
 - Keep resources for things that don't end up on the final site:

resources/stylesheets
resources/conf            # Sitemaps, etc
resources/lib
resources/classes

--Jeff