forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cleaning Forrest source directory madness
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:58:34 GMT
On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 09:55:58AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> I'm looking into using XHTML 2.0, and now it seems to me that the
> current documentation/ directory layout is confusing at best. To reduce
> confusion I was obliged to use the default layout of Forrest in all my
> projects.
>
> IIRC I had started with that layout in the beginning, with the following
> meaning:
>
>   content        all stuff that has to be "digested" by Forrest
>     xdocs          xml document-dtd files
>     images         (added later) images that refer to the dir xdocs
>     -other-
>   resources      all stuff that has to be referenced as-is
>     images         images that have a global use in all pages
>     -other-
>
> The idea with resources, was that they would be referencable as local to
> the current (.) dir even if the were not.
> So a resource that was in
>
>   resources/images/image.gif
>
> could be called from:
>
>   http://site/image.gif
>   http://site/images/image.gif
>   http://site/any/path/and/then/image.gif

Oh, didn't know that.  Always wondered why images weren't content ;)
Makes sense though.

But now that we have site.xml and indirect linking, how about this
instead:

<figure src="img:project-logo">

Where 'img:project-logo' is valid anywhere,

In the JIRA docs, the site.xml file has an <images> section, and a 'img'
module that looks in there, in the same way as 'ext' looks in
<external-refs>.  Works fairly decently.

> That was the initial meaning of resource. Something to remain as-is that
> was referencable anywhere, both conceptually and in the path.

Well it's not a good idea to have it *literally* in the output path,
because then you get one copy per directory, which is wasteful.

I've run out of time.. will parse the rest tomorrow.

--Jeff