forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question: adding formatting for 'xml' conent of source element
Date Sun, 08 Jun 2003 04:03:39 GMT
On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 03:29:09AM +0200, Mikael Sitruk wrote:
> Hi
>
> In the document v1.1 DTD there is the 'source' element that permit to
> include "sources" sample in the generated document.
> I would like to use this tag, to add XML content and to FORMAT it with
> syntax coloring.
> I've updated the document2xhtml.xsl for formatting XML elements under
> the source element, the XSL works fine, but in order to permit XML
> content under the 'source' element I have to DISABLE the validation of
> the document 1.1 DTD, since the DTD doesn't have the definitions for the
> new XML elements in the source element.
> Note: overriding the DTD for each xml fragment that I want to add,
> doesn't seems to be realistic.
>
> If I put the CDATA declaration, I do pass the validation but the syntax
> coloring is not working.
> Do someone have an idea how I can include this XML content, and still be
> able to format it??

Colourizing <source> contents is somewhere on the "cool features to add"
list.  We want to be able to colourize anything, not just XML, so there'd
need to be a 'type' attribute:

<source type="Java">
      System.out.println("Hello world");
  }
</source>

<source type="XML">
  <foo>
    <bar/>
  </foo>
</source>

I think the best way to implement this is to use the Chaperon parser to
translate the <source> contents to HTML.  The Cocoon samples have a demo
of colourizing Java code, and Forrest already includes Chaperon for the
Wiki parsing, so everything that's needed (except grammars) should be
there.

--Jeff