forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: how to use a subdirectory
Date Wed, 14 May 2003 22:43:46 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

> Nicola,

>> What about, in site.xml, making all top-level links tabs, and the
>> contained links the navigation links?
>>
>> In this way the site can also have more levels of tabs, it just
>> depends on the skin on how to show them. They may even not be
>> represented as tabs in some skins.
>>

> so, how do you define which tabs to show/hide?
>
> if you use the contained links as navigation links, you use the tabs
> like another representation of a menu isn't it?
>
> I think that then tabs become a horizontal menu but the only diferent is
> that it hide all the other links that does not belong to its tab.

Yes. But we probably want this behaviour for all menus, not just
top-level ones.  For example, see how the menus change between these two
pages:

http://maven.apache.org/reference/developer-guide.html
http://maven.apache.org/ant-guide/index.html

I assume we want to implement this click-menu-to-expand behaviour in
Forrest.

So instead of redefining tabs as "top-level menus with special
behaviour", let's fix the real problem.  That then frees us to use tabs
as they were originally intended: as bookmarks to arbitrary locations in
the site.

--Jeff