forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Luca Morandini <luca.morandi...@tin.it>
Subject Re: JSPWiki and Forrest
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 12:11:40 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

> I think you mean the Cocoon command-line static rendering.  Forrestbot is
> a dodgy cron+shell+XSLT+Ant affair running on forrestbot.cocoondev.org.

Yes, I meant the command-line rendering. Ahem... I thought they were the
same thing: thanks for enlightening me.

> The only way I know of passing command-line parameters to Cocoon is by
> replacing @tokens@ in cocoon.xconf.  This is how the skin is chosen
> (a @skin@ token).  So yes, we could have an <online>@online@</online> tag
> in cocoon.xconf, where @online@ gets replaced with 'yes' or 'no'
> depending on whether we're in webapp or command-line mode.  Then in the
> sitemap, {forrest:online} would be 'yes' or 'no', and that could be
> passed to the XSLT.

Thanks, I'll try it. BTW, could someone insert such a switch in the next
Forrest release ?
I presume it could be useful to many.

> Paul Prescod wrote:
>
> "Any business problem can be thought of as a data resource manipulation
> problem" [1]
>
> The Cocoon approach is "get the problem into 'data resource
> manipulation' mode ASAP".  Like Chaperon; forget trying to define an
> API for an abstract syntax tree, just output XML.  When tempted to write
> a Java API, instead write a schema.  They're both contracts, but XML's
> looser coupling combined with powerful Cocoon manipulation tends to make
> for a simpler and more flexible system"

Right on target ! I'll shamelessy borrow this quote for a Cocoon course
I'm going to teach :)

Regards,

                Luca Morandini
                GIS Consultant