forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [USER POLL/VOTE] Defining tabs?
Date Mon, 26 May 2003 11:54:49 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 26/05/2003 12.44:

> On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 09:04:05AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>What Jeff has proposed is the best IMHO. It can accomodate a skin that
>>allows tabs to show things at the skin's wish. We'll see if the impl
>>will be nice enough for users.
>

> I have something implemented locally:
>
>  - Any site.xml node can have a @tab attribute.
>  - @tab attributes are like namespaces: they are inherited by child
>    site.xml nodes unless overridden by a child's @tab.
>  - tabs.xml <tab> elements can now have a @id identifier.
>  - When rendering tabs, book2menu.xsl will render as "selected" the <tab>
>    whose @id is equal to the site.xml @tab.

It basically makes tabs work as now, but using the site.xml structure
instead of the directory structure.

Wouldn't it work equally well if we simply show the children of a
site:xxx link in tabs.xml instead of the dir ones? It would even be less
  changes for the users, but maybe I'm missing something.

> So, pretty simple and generic.
 >
> As for the
> are-tabs-bookmarks-or-containers debate, it becomes a one-line change in
> tabutils.xsl, which I'll parametrize and set to 'containers' by default.

Excellent.

> Will commit tomorrow'ish..

TIA

What about the tabs.xml-site.xml dichotomy? Could we just make it so
that if tabs.xml is not defined, we can instead use a <tabs/> section in
site.xml?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -