forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Forrest CVS and Cocoon 2.1-M1/Xalan 2.5.0
Date Mon, 19 May 2003 18:32:28 GMT
Luca Morandini wrote:
> hmmm... I'm actually running JDK 1.4.1 01... but I never had this error,
 >
 > AFAIK, the Xalan included in the tomcat-endorsed dir will be the one
 > being used, since the JDK's one will be overridden... am I wrong ?

It depends. Most people use Xalan through JAXP only, and in this
case usually the JDK one takes percedence, because its service
settings are on the bootclasspath. Maybe Tomcat overrides this
(looks like it does).
However if someone uses an internal class, or the Most General
Mess Of ClassLoaders On Earth screwed up, it may still be loaded
from the bootclasspath if the class is there but was removed in
the more recent Xalan release from Tomcat's endorsed lib. Servlet
containers enforce that related classes must come from the same
location, but apparently Tomcat's classloader found a superclass
in its endorsed dir or somewhere else other than it should be,
and throws an IllegalAccessError.

All in all: it may help to put the Xalan jar in the JDK's lib/endorsed
directory rather than into TOmcat's lib/endorsed directory.

J.Pietschmann