forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: how to use a subdirectory
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 06:30:59 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote, On 15/05/2003 0.43:
> Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
>
>> Nicola,

>>> What about, in site.xml, making all top-level links tabs, and the
>>> contained links the navigation links?
>>>
>>> In this way the site can also have more levels of tabs, it just
>>> depends on the skin on how to show them. They may even not be
>>> represented as tabs in some skins.
>>>

>> so, how do you define which tabs to show/hide?
>>
>> if you use the contained links as navigation links, you use the tabs
>> like another representation of a menu isn't it?
>>
>> I think that then tabs become a horizontal menu but the only diferent
>> is that it hide all the other links that does not belong to its tab.
>

> Yes. But we probably want this behaviour for all menus, not just
> top-level ones.  For example, see how the menus change between these two
> pages:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/reference/developer-guide.html
> http://maven.apache.org/ant-guide/index.html
>
> I assume we want to implement this click-menu-to-expand behaviour in
> Forrest.

Yes, but what's the point with tabs?

> So instead of redefining tabs as "top-level menus with special
> behaviour",

Ehm, they are "top-level menus with special *appearance*"

> let's fix the real problem.  That then frees us to use tabs
> as they were originally intended: as bookmarks to arbitrary locations in
> the site.

Ah, so this is what you intend? No wonder we don't understand each other.

For me tabs are not links to arbitrary locations, and IIUC this is not
the intention of Stefano either.

Look here:
http://www.onjava.com/

Top-level tabs are only there to fully contain a series of links. It
fully contextualizes a series of links, as the navigation has links that
fully contain another series of links.

Also there are two series of "tabs". In other parts of the site, like
here http://java.oreilly.com/, you have only one.

Given this, I still fail to see what makes tabs and links on the left
different. So as the ones on the left contextualize a series of links,
so shoud tabs. Hence tabs are not bookmarks to arbitrary locations.

KISS. Why introduce a visual clue (ie "tabs") in a logical navigation
space, that can be presented in any way to the user? Whycreate a
different concept?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -