forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Deployment. WAR or Static using Forrestbot
Date Sat, 31 May 2003 02:34:11 GMT
On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 12:30:07AM -0400, Francois Beauregard wrote:
> Just pulled Forrest from cvs, built it, created a new project and played a
> bit with it.
> I must say that I am very impressed and that I will definetely try to use it
> for a documentation project that I have.
>
> Obviously all my documentation will be under cvs.
>
> The documentation needs to be available on a web site and does not need to
> be updated in real time.
> Therefore, I am planning to have the ForrestBot installed and scheduled to
> run regularly to generate the static site and deploy it.
>
> 1. Is this the recommanded way?

It would work.  If it's a Windows server or you're not familiar with
shell scripting, it's probably the best way.

The Forrestbot stuff (src/resources/forrestbot/) is effectively a set of
XML macros (translated to Ant) for checking out, building and deploying
one or more Forrest sites.  Using Ant makes it cross-platform.  You can
try it by typing 'forrestbot -Dbot.config=<something>', where <something>
is a file in src/resources/forrestbot/samples/.

The drawback is that when you find yourself wanting to make improvements
or fix a bug, you have to learn the XSLT-based mechanism whereby XML
commands (<get-src>, <deploy> etc) are translated to an Ant script.  It's
an extra layer of complexity.

If you don't care about cross-platform'ness and your OS has a decent
scripting facility, IMHO it is simpler to hack up one's own script.
Checkout, run forrest and deploy isn't rocket science.

> 2. Should I use a war instead?

If you have a fast server and 60-odd MB to spare that would be fine.

> 3. Will this work using the current cvs version?

Yes.

HTH,

--Jeff