forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest in use for Jira
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 10:55:47 GMT
On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 08:59:00AM +0200, Steven Noels wrote:
> http://blogs.atlassian.com/rebelutionary/archives/000130.html

Cool.  I didn't even twist Mike's arm to write that ;)

FTR, JIRA docs is what I've been doing for the last 3 weeks.  It's been
an interesting experience using Forrest for a fairly large site.  A few
things in particular:
 - Using <a> instead of <link> makes a big difference.  There are 236
   links in JIRA's docs. Using <a> saved 1416 keystrokes.
 - site: linking does pay off.  In fact I added an img: scheme for
   addressing nodes in an <images> section of site.xml
 - We really really need to ditch DTDs so that we can implement a 'macro'
   system, where arbitrary elements, say <cocoon:version/>, are replaced
   via XSLT with project-specific markup.

> for a sample:
> http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/v2.1/install/install.html
>
> neat!

That is a majorly hacked krysalis-site skin there.

The site illustrates the tabs-as-bookmarks POV.  The Home tab provides a
complete overview of the docs, and the other tabs 'zoom in' on a specific
area of interest.

Another item of interest is the whole-site PDF, linked to at the bottom.
This is built by generating a skeleton doc-v20 file from site.xml, with
cinclude tags for each site.xml node.  I'll migrate this into Forrest
eventually.

--Jeff